You lead a busy life filled with responsibilities and activities...so the last thing you need is discomfort stemming from bladder issues. Fortunately, there are ways to keep your bladder happy.
Actually, the urinary tract covers a lot more territory than just your bladder. Other components include the kidneys that filter out waste in the form of urine;ureters, tubes that connect the kidneys to the bladder; and theurethra, which carries the urine out of the body.
The female urethra is shorter than the male version, leaving a woman’s urinary tract more vulnerable to discomfort. This makes maintaining a healthy urinary tract especially important for women.
Here are some suggestions for maintaining a healthy urinary tract:
- Eat a well-balanced diet to keep your immune system strong.
- Cut down on refined foods, especially sugar.
- Maintain a healthy weight and exercise regularly.
- Drink plenty of liquids, especially water; avoid alcohol and caffeine.
- Wear cotton underwear and loose-fitting clothes.
- Urinate promptly when the urge arises and empty your bladder completely; wipe from front to back.
- Urinate after sexual activity to flush the urethra.
- Avoid potentially irritating feminine hygiene products, including deodorant sprays and douches, and change pads and tampons frequently.
Like this article? You’ll love our weekly newsletter
sign up here!
**These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.