While fiber is a common supplement found in every health food store, arabinogalactan is a special type of fiber that has been found to help support immune health.* Here's what you need to know about it.
What Is It?
- A type of fiber found in plants and fungi
- One source used in supplements is the Western larch (Larix occidentalis)
How Does It Support Immune Health?
- Helps stimulate immune-system components, especially natural killer (NK) cells†
- Has reduced incidence of colds and boosted vaccine response in studies†
- May help reduce ear infections in children†
What Are Its Other Functions?
- Has been shown to increase intestinal production of fatty acids, particularly butyrate, that supply cells lining the colon with their preferred energy source†
- Serves as a prebiotic, a substance that supports growth of healthy probiotic bacteria within the digestive tract†
What Supplemental Forms Are Best?
- Available by itself in tablet form
- Often combined with immunity-supporting herbs
- Used in digestion-support formulations as well
What Else Should I Know?
Native American tribes would chew sap from the Western larch to help ease sore throats††The information provided is not an endorsement of any product, and is intended for educational purposes only. NaturesPlus does not provide medical advice and does not offer diagnosis of any conditions. Current research on this topic is not conclusive and further research may be needed in order to prove the benefits described.
The conditions and symptoms described may be indicative of serious health problems, and therefore should be brought to the attention of a qualified healthcare practitioner.
Like this article? You’ll love our weekly newsletter
sign up here!
**These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.