Want to learn how to meditate, but youre not sure how?
Meditation teacher and author Susan Shumsky says you shouldnt feel intimidated. She calls meditation a very simple way to get comfortable, to become more quiet, more relaxed, more connected, more at ease. If you can follow very simple instructions, then you can meditate.
Shumsky does offer the following exercise for newbies:
- First, dont allow yourself to be interrupted. Turn off your phone and put a do not disturb sign on the door.
- Sit comfortablyyou dont have to be cross-legged on a cushion. However, dont lie down, which could result in sleepiness. And dont worry about staying absolutely still; scratch itches, etc.
- Start by closing your eyes and taking a few deep breaths.
- State what youd like to get from a meditation session, such as inner peace, healing, creative ideas. Then, take another deep breath, and do nothing, nothing and less than nothing. Keep a neutral attitude, but be open to receive.
- Dont try to consciously stop thinking thoughts. Its impossible to control your mind in that way. Thoughts are continually going through your mind.
- When youre finished, Say an affirmation such as, I am alert, I am awake.
**These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.