By Elena Doxey
You may have heard about “keto” or a ketogenic diet that is trending as a lifestyle gamechanger for people looking to improve their health and well-being. Keto isn’t just a diet; it is a lifestyle. And there is so much more to it than just losing weight. In fact, the benefits of a keto lifestyle may be just what you’ve been looking for to feel your best.
Are you ready to discover how keto can change your life for the better? Read on to learn more about keto and the amazing benefits this type of lifestyle has to offer.
What is keto?
The goal of keto is to train your body to burn fat for fuel instead of sugar by putting your body into a metabolic state of ketosis. Simply stated, those on a keto diet eat a high-fat, moderate protein diet and very few-to-no carbohydrates. Their diet typically includes:
By maintaining a state of ketosis – which happens when you deplete your body of stored sugar – your body looks for another way to find energy. This is when your liver takes over and produces ketones, which your body then uses as its primary energy source.
How can keto benefit me?
Here are some ways you can benefit from a keto lifestyle:
- Weight loss – This is the obvious benefit, and a big one since those on a responsible keto diet are burning fat as their energy source. You’re basically turning your body into a fat-burning machine.
- Sharper mental focus – Eating carbs spikes blood sugar levels, which causes a rollercoaster ride for your energy source. Limiting your carb intake helps keep blood sugars in check and your energy source on an even keel, thus helping your brain stay focused for longer periods of time.
- Lowers blood pressure – Having lower blood pressure may ward off heart problems down the road.
- May improve heart health – A keto diet may help to lower your triglyceride levels (the amount of fat in your blood) while raising HDL (good cholesterol) levels, which reduces your risk for heart disease. The higher the triglyceride numbers, the greater the risk.
- Increased energy – Living a keto lifestyle will leave you feeling more energized throughout the day, since your body is burning its unlimited fat supply for energy. This means no more feeling sluggish or looking for an afternoon nap.
- Curbs food cravings – Keto keeps you feeling fuller longer since you’re not eating all those carbs, which can leave you scrambling for a sugary fix.
Sound good so far? There’s more. For those with chronic diseases or other serious health problems, keto has shown to be beneficial in combating or reducing some of their effects.
Here are a few examples:
- Type 2 diabetes – Diabetics who have type 2 diabetes are insulin-resistant. This means their bodies can’t make enough insulin to maintain normal blood sugar levels. Since a keto diet eliminates sugar, type 2 diabetics can potentially reverse their disease by lowering their HbA1c count (a test which determines how well blood sugar is controlled over a two-to-three-month period.)
- Seizures – Ketosis resulting from a keto diet has shown to be effective in reducing focal seizures in children and may even have the potential to help reduce seizures in epileptics.
- Protect brain function – A keto diet may offer neuroprotective benefits to help treat or prevent conditions such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s (although additional research relating to the keto diet and the brain is needed).
Why supplements could be “key to” keto success
Maintaining a keto lifestyle means keeping your body in a state of ketosis. Even the best of us might need some help in this area. Natures Plus offers a three-part system (Shakes, Daily Multi and Sugar Control) called KetoLiving™ that is specifically designed to partner with a keto diet to achieve maximum results. Remember, however, that it’s a good idea to check with a health professional before beginning a new diet or taking supplements to make sure it’s right for you.
Living a keto lifestyle may be the key to unlocking a healthier you. For more information on products, as well as advice from Natures Plus, contact us with any questions.