What Is It?
- Withania somnifera, a shrub that grows in the drier parts of China, India and Nepal
- Has played a central role in India’s Ayurvedic healing system for more than 3,000 years
How Does It Support Immune Health?
- Has shown an ability to modulate immune activity under stressful conditions, allowing the immune system to operate as it should†
What Are Its Other Functions?
- Serves as an adaptogen, an herb that helps the body adapt to physical and mental stress†
- Has been found to improving function of mitochondria, the parts of cells that generate energy†
- Research supports traditional use as an aid to memory and cognition†
What Supplemental Forms Are Best?
- Available in capsule form
- Used in immune-support formulations aimed at older people
What Else Should I Know?
The word ashwagandha roughly translates to “horse smell,” referring to the plant’s musky odor
†The information provided is not an endorsement of any product, and is intended for educational purposes only. NaturesPlus does not provide medical advice and does not offer diagnosis of any conditions. Current research on this topic is not conclusive and further research may be needed in order to prove the benefits described.